Tuesday, July 31

...make a grand entrance

Friday, May 4th, I awoke around 6:00 a.m. with some beastly contractions."This has got to be it," I thought. I was excited. My mind ran away with me as I made sure my hospital bag was packed, threw in a load of laundry, woke up Jake, and jumped in the shower.

Jake went to work, but my little sister was there to help me with all the odds and ends. It was an intense morning for me as I tried to get ready between contractions. But I finally gave up, braided my hair wet, and called Jake with an urgency in my voice saying, "It's time to go!"

We left for the hospital about a quarter to nine and he wheeled me into the LDR about 9:30. Upon arrival the nurse checked things out and announced that I was already dilated to an 8! Apparently I had waited a bit too long to go in.
With the help of the Hypnobabies program, the birthing ball, the nurses, ShaNae, and my seriously studly husband, I labored until noon. Another 45 minutes of pushing and our little boy was born!
Denym General Free born at 1:12 p.m. 
6 lbs 15 oz and 20 inches long.
The nurses brought him back to me and lay him on my chest while Jake spread the word via text message. I cuddled this little person close and I whispered "His name is Denym." Then immediately looked up at Daddy and corrected myself - "Can his name be Denym?" I got an agreeable nod.
In the days that followed we learned so much about our new tiny human. At the hospital, he got his first diaper change, his first bath, and the usual battery of tests done to make sure all was well. Mom rested up those two nights, while Dad took on the brunt of the new challenges.

 
Denym, when we finally got you home it was so good to have you safely there with us. We were in a continual state of awe as we held you and studied your itty-bitty features. It was a smidge overwhelming to know that we were now soley responsible for your well-being, but we are so grateful for the chance. We can't believe you are ours; A head full of black hair, squinty curious eyes, a dimple in your ear, and oh how we love you Denym. I will be forever grateful for the experience of your birth, my bugaboo. Because of you, I know I am strong and can do anything. I want so many things for you - Most of all, that you will find the person inside of you that God intends for you to be.

Welcome to the world little man - we love you fiercely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment